Can’t join a server on Discord? Discord is a VoIP and instant messaging service that lets you communicate through voice calls, video calls, text messages, and file sharing. It allows people to create servers to allow users with the same interest to interact with each other in groups. Users can join a Discord server using the invite link or code sent by the server owner. But some users have complained that they cannot join a Discord server even after several attempts. Now, if you are facing the same problem, here is a complete guide that will help you to get rid of the problem.
Why can’t I join the Discord server?
There can be different reasons why you are unable to join a Discord server. Here are the potential causes:
- The problem is more likely to occur if the invitation link to join the server is invalid or has expired. So, check your invite link and make sure it is valid.
- This may be because the server owner has revoked the invite link.
- If you are banned from Discord or a particular Discord server, you will not be able to join the Discord server. Therefore, make sure that you are not banned from joining the server causing the problem.
- If you have reached the maximum number of servers, you will face the problem that arises. If the scenario is applicable, leave some servers to join new ones.
- This can also happen due to a corrupt Discord cache. Therefore, try clearing the Discord cache folders and see if the problem is gone.
Based on the above scenarios, you can apply an appropriate fix to resolve the issue.
Unable to join discord server
If you are unable to join a Discord server on your PC, you can use the fixes below to resolve the issue:
- Check the invite link or code.
- Make sure you are not banned from joining the server.
- Try quitting some servers.
- Delete the Discord cache.
- Try a VPN.
1]Check the invite link or code
The first thing to do when you can’t join a Discord server is to double-check the invite link. The invitation link sent to you to join a server may have expired. And so, you cannot join the Discord server.
Server owners can customize Discord invites while sending them. They can set an expiration date for their invite link. It can be 30 minutes, 1 day, 1 week or never. If the server owner has not configured any expiration time for their invite link, it will be invalid after 24 hours by default.
It’s also possible that the invite link you’re trying to open has exceeded this maximum number of uses. Server owners can also customize and configure the maximum number of uses allowed to open their invite link. So, if you click on the link that has exceeded the maximum number of users, you will not be able to join the server.
Also, the server owner may have revoked your invite link. In server settings there is an option using which a server owner can revoke the invite link from the list of active invites. That’s why it may have become invalid and you can’t join the server.
If you discover that the invite link to join the Discord server is expired or invalid, there is nothing you can do to fix it. All you can do is contact the server owner and ask them to send a new link to join the Discord server.
Also, if you’re using an invite code to join the server, make sure you’ve entered the correct code. As the invitation code to join a server is case sensitive, you should double check the code and ensure that it is used as is.
If the invite link is valid and you are still unable to join the Discord server, proceed to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
Lily: Troubleshoot Discord connection issues on Windows PC.
2]Make sure you are not banned from joining the server
If the above scenario does not work for you, you might be banned from joining the Discord server, that’s why you can’t join the server. Now, you could be banned from a particular server or from the entire Discord service.
Discord can ban you for various reasons. For example, in a general scenario, you can get banned if you violate the terms of service or community guidelines. Other reasons may include using a suspicious IP address, spreading spam, etc. If you are banned from a single server, you may have violated the rules set up by the server owner, such as using swear words, offensive behavior. , etc.
Now, when you are banned from Discord, your IP address as well as your account are banned. So if you try to join a Discord server from a different device while connected to the same router, you won’t be able to join.
Therefore, you will need to contact your server administrator and ask them to unban you. When the ban is lifted, you will be able to join the Discord server using the invite link. You can even try using a proxy server and see if it helps you join the Discord server if banned.
If you are not banned from joining the Discord server, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
See: Discord not opening or stuck on login screen.
3]Try quitting some servers
You may have reached the server limit and therefore cannot join another Discord server. As per Discord policy, there is a particular number of servers a user can join at a time. You can join a maximum of 100 servers on Discord at a time. If you have exceeded the limit, you will no longer be able to join other servers. This may be the case if you receive the Invalid invite error while connecting to a server.
Now, if the scenario is applicable, you can check the number of servers you are currently connected to. If the limit is exceeded, leave some servers you no longer use or servers you probably won’t use anymore. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
- First, open the Discord app.
- Now from the list of servers select the one you want to leave and press the drop down arrow button.
- Then click on the Leave the server option from the appeared menu options.
- After that, confirm your choice at the next prompt by choosing the Leave Server option and the server will be removed from your list.
- You can now try joining another Discord server and see if the issue is resolved.
If you still face the same problem, you can try the following solution to fix it.
RELATED: Can’t connect to Discord? Troubleshoot Discord connection issues.
4]Delete Discord cache
PC users can try clearing their Discord cache from their computers to fix the problem. In few cases, issues like these can be triggered due to corrupted cache data. Therefore, if the scenario applies, deleting the Discord cache should help you fix the problem. Here’s how:
- First, press Windows + R hotkey to bring up the Run dialog box.
- After that, type %appdata%discord in the Open box and press the Enter button to open the location in File Explorer.
- Then locate the Hidden, Code cachingand GPU caching folders and choose those folders.
- Now press the Delete button on your keyboard to clear the above Discord cache folders.
- Finally, reopen Discord and see if you can join the Discord server or not.
If the problem persists, try the following potential fix.
Lily: Fix Discord console log errors on Windows computer.
5]Try a VPN
If none of the solutions above worked for you, try using a VPN service and see if that fixes the problem for you. This will help you bypass any internet restrictions that might be causing the problem in question.
See: Fix You are experiencing Discord limited bitrate error on Windows PC.
Can Discord ban you from joining any server?
Yes, Discord can ban your account if you violate the company’s terms of service. If you are banned, you will not be able to join any Discord servers.
How do I know if I’m banned from a Discord server?
There is no direct way to tell that you are banned from a Discord server. However, you can contact the server owner and ask them if you are banned from their server. They will let you know if you are banned or not.
How long do Discord server bans last?
Server bans last as long as the moderator/owner wants. There are basically two types of bans, Kick and Ban. When you are kicked from a server, your account is deleted, but you can rejoin it later. However, in Ban you will not be able to join the server until the owner unblocks you.